One Dead and Three Sick from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning on 920 S Hobart Street
KOREATOWN, CA (March 8, 2018) – A carbon monoxide leak in a 90-year-old apartment building left one dead and three sick, on Thursday evening.
Police officials responded to reports of unusual, flu-like symptoms at the 920 South Hobart Street apartment around 5:45 PM. An odd smell was coming from a unit on the third floor of four-floor building. Authorities discovered a man that had died from a carbon monoxide leak.
The building was red-tagged and the gas was shut off. Police, investigators, and hazmat experts investigated the scene and used equipment to check for carbon monoxide levels. Brian Humphrey from the Los Angeles Fire Department stated that there were, in fact, elevated levels of carbon monoxide, likely linked to a faulty boiler.
Forty-five residents evacuated and awaited approval to return back to their homes. They said that alarms were going off within the building over the past few weeks, but nothing was being done by management. One other death was reported in the same building early on in the week, but officials are unsure whether it is linked to the leak.
No other information on the identity of the deceased man has been released at this point in time.
Deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim. May he rest in peace.
If you have become ill from a carbon monoxide in your rental space, contact the personal injury lawyers at Sweet Law Group. We will fight to achieve the compensation and justice you deserve for the suffering that you have gone through. Call our offices at (800) 203-3061 for a free initial visit with a legal professional in your area. You can also reach us 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week through email, text message, and online chat.