The end of summer is slowly approaching which means back to school is right around the corner. During the summer school break, many experience less congested roadways and fewer accidents. However, with summer vacation wrapping up, people are back to work and back to school.
The end of summer traffic jams can be overwhelming and time consuming. With a high number of vehicles sharing the road, expect delays and uncontrollable road congestion. If you are a parent, student, or fellow commuter, plan ahead to prepare for your back to school commute.
5 Steps to Prepare for Back to School Commute
Before your drive, take these five steps to prepare for your back to school commute:
1. Auto Maintenance – Inspect your vehicle to ensure it is safe to drive in traffic or dangerous conditions. Check the tire pressure, brake fluids, water and oil levels, and brake pads. As a result, taking these precautions can lessen your changes to being involved in a car accident. In addition, make sure your car is up-to-date on all maintenance needs. As a result, you can be safer in case an accident does happen.
2. Proper Auto Insurance Coverage – Make sure your auto insurance policy is current and appropriate for your needs. For example, California law requires drivers to carry a minimum liability coverage on their vehicle. Purchasing the proper coverage can reduce your financial risks caused after an accident.
3. Emergency Kit & Roadside Assistance – In the event that you or your family become stranded on the side of the road, fill an emergency kit with the following amenities:
- Light blanket;
- Jumper cables;
- Flashlight, Flares, or reflective triangles;
- Spare tire
- Basic tool kit
- Cell phone charger;
- Drinking water and dried and canned goods;
- First aid kit;
- Road map.
4. Plenty of Rest – Being a safe driver means getting plenty of sleep. Not getting enough rest may put you and others at risk of getting into an accident. In addition, driving tired also affects your driving coordination and may be distracting to other drivers.
5. Traffic & Weather – Traffic and weather conditions will affect the amount of time you may reach your destination. Allow more time in your commute if you expect heavy traffic, extreme weather, or bad road conditions.
Don’t be a Distracted Driver
Now that you have some tips on how to prepare for your back to school commute, it’s time to focus on the road ahead of you. Distracted drivers are the leading cause of many car crashes. Therefore, avoid eating while driving, the use of cellphones, putting on your make-up, and even talking and interacting with passengers. This also includes multi-tasking such as switching radio stations or taking a sip of a drink.
Reach Out to Compassionate Personal Injury Attorney
If there is one thing you or a loved one cannot prepare enough for is an accident. Injuries resulting from car crashes may leave you and your family with emotional, physical, and financial losses. Above all, you may not know what to do next. That is where Sweet Lawyers come in.
With over 44 years of experience, Sweet Lawyers knows what it takes to win your case. Don’t fight the insurance companies alone. Our team will fight for the justice and compensation you deserve. Call our office for a free consultation today at (800) 674-7854.